Whilst doing research for a museum project (you'll hear about this soon. Trust me.) I ran across this list of the biggest-selling albums in America since the introduction of SoundScan in 1991.
In case you don't know, SoundScan is the point-of-purchase counting mechanism for record sales. Thousands of retailers across the US and Canada are equipped with software that counts a record as sold when its bar code is scanned at check-out.
Here are the best-selling records since the US started using this system. Note two things: (1) the number of Canadians on this list; and (2) the entry at #8.
- Metallica / Metallica ~ 15,735,000
- Come on Over / Shania Twain ~ 15,513,000
- Jagged Little Pill / Alanis Morissette ~ 14,714,000
- Millennium / Backstreet Boys ~ 12,168,000
- 1 / The Beatles ~ 11,985,000
- The Bodyguard / Soundtrack (Whitney Houston) ~ 11,829,000
- Supernatural / Santana ~ 11,772,000
- Human Clay / Creed ~ 11,574,000
- No Strings Attached / 'N Sync ~ 11,122,000
- Falling into You / Celine Dion ~ 10,790,000